10 September 2007

Iron Jawed Angels (say it again, now!)

We have been studying this movie for the past week and a half. Today we watched Mary Poppins for the historical references of the British Suffrage Movement as well as to kickstart a discussion on the differences between the British and American governments, especially as they were in 1910-1920. There is a part in Mary Poppins in which Mrs. Banks sings,"Take heart for Mrs. Pankhurst has been clapped in irons again!" so we looked up Emmeline Pankhurst, British Suffragist. http://www.time.com/time/time100/heroes/profile/pankhurst01.html

We have been spending considerable time on the time.com website. They have great student and teacher resources on the movie Iron Jawed Angels.

We took a virtual tour of Susan B. Anthony's home at http://www.susanbanthonyhouse.org/

which was really cool. (Was I the only person who didn't realize that the jump rope song "The Lady With the Alligator Purse" was about Susan B. Anthony?!)

Oh, and before bed we watched the SchoolHouse Rock video about the 19th Amendment.

I think I'm going to tell Kirk that, as a go-along with Mary Poppins I need to hire two cooks, a nanny and a chimney sweep! ( ::::sigh::::: The things I won't do to educate my children! It's all about the kids, ya know.)


On to the Unit Study. I didn't realize when I started this project that THIS particular rabbit trail was going to lead to more and more and more and more. This all started from the last chapter of Homer Price (Volume 1, Beyond Five in a Row). The word "suffragist" was used and we took off from there. We are currently rowing Thomas Edison, but he has taken a backseat to the rabbit trail at the moment. They are studying inventors at The Co-op That Has No Name, so we will be back to Mr. Edison later this week.


Also at co-op, they are planning a Geography Fair, date undetermined at this point. Katy is planning on presenting Panama. I think I'll make empanadas (pastry pockets filled with meat) for her to share. I told her that if she isn't good I'll make ceviche. (raw fish marinated in garlic, onion and peppers.) I'm thinking about either Ireleand or Scotland to research just for fun, if for no other reason than to learn a little bit more about our ancestors. Potatoes and Shortbread for everyone!


Also, we are looking for some eggs to hatch for the Thomas Edison project. I have been told that the County Extension office may have some to borrow. We shall see.